Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for making sure that the residents, property owners and businesses comply with Town codes.

When there is a code violation, a Code Enforcement Officer will issue a NOTICE OF VIOLATION (NOV).  The NOV will state what the violation is and give a specific number of days to correct the violation.  The Officer will re-inspect the property to determine if the violation has been corrected by the designated time.  Some violations can be addressed instantly such as illegal watering and other violations may take several days or weeks to resolve.

If the violation is not corrected within the time designated, the Officer will issue a NOTICE OF HEARING TO APPEAR BEFORE THE CODE ENFORCEMENT BOARD. The Board meets once a month at Town Hall to rule on code violation cases. The Code Enforcement Board DOES NOT  have the authority to  change codes. They hear testimony from the Town and the alleged violators. It is important for you, as the home owner, to attend the meeting if you get a NOTICE.  Formal rules of evidence do not apply during these proceedings, but fundamental due process is observed. The Code Board can give additional time for property owners to comply, impose daily fines as great as $250 per violation per day and even authorize liens to be placed against the property, if the property does not come into compliance within the time given.

The Code Enforcement Officer may issue a Notice of Violation based upon her own observation of a problem or in response to a complaint received about a possible violation.  Code violation complaints should be reported to the Code Enforcement Division at 561-964-1515 ext. 23 or via our Online Code Violation Concern form. When you call, please make sure  you provide the correct address of the possible violation, a clear description of the problem, and your name and phone number if you want us to return your call. Please remember complaints are part of the public record. We investigate all code complaints we receive.


1. Landscaping problems such as:

  • Allowing grass, hedges and/or weeds to grow too high.  Sec. 26-26 (4)
  • Bare areas in your lawn and/or having dead grass.  Sec. 26-26 (3)
  • Allowing vegetation to obstruct the visibility of motorists.   Sec. 82-64
  • Removing trees without first obtaining required Town permits.    Sec. 10-62 (a)

2. Maintaining your property below minimum standards.    Sec. 26-26 (3) &  Sec. 26-26 (9)

3. Watering Violations.  Sec 58-42

4. Parking a motor home, boat, trailer or other recreational vehicle in the front yard or on the side yard in front of the building line or in an area that is not screened from the neighbor’s view.   Sec. 86-508 (d) (2)

5. Failing to obtain necessary Town permits for garage  sales and/or capital outdoor sales and construction / renovation / repairs. Failing to obtain required inspections for all building permits. Sec. 86-467, Sec. 10-62  & Sec. 10-68

6. Debris in yard. Debris could include trash, building materials, litter, etc.    Sec. 26-26 (10)

7. Open storage in view of public.    Sec. 26-26 (7)

All of the Towns Codes are online at